Paula FitzGibbon awarded the J. Bruce Jackson, MD, Award for Excellence in Undergraduate Mentoring

MAMS department Statistics lecturer Paula FitzGibbon was selected as a 2023 recipient of the J. Bruce Jackson, MD, Award for Excellence in Undergraduate Mentoring. This award recognizes the positive impact Case Western Reserve University faculty and staff have on the lives of students. It was established by J. Bruce Jackson, Adelbert ’52, in honor of Dean Carl F. Wittke, who served as an advisor, mentor, and friend to Dr. Jackson when he was an undergraduate student at Western Reserve University. The Jackson Award celebrates faculty and staff who have guided a student in their academic and career paths; fostered the student’s long-term personal development; challenged the student to reflect, explore and grow as an individual; and supported and/or facilitated the student’s goals and life choices.

Paula’s reaction:
“This is an unexpected honor. I can only say that it is my privilege to mentor and teach students for the past 30 years at CWRU. Each day I am thrilled to engage with students and assist them in achieving their academic and professional goals.  I appreciate being able to get to know students and serve as a guide throughout their collegiate experiences.  CWRU students are impressive in many different ways, and being able to serve as a mentor to them is one of the best aspects of my job. I love coming to Case every day, teaching and mentoring all my advisees and students in my classes, and would not have chosen a different path.

It’s been a family affair for decades.  My grandmother graduated from The Teacher’s College (’27).  My mom graduated from Flora Stone Mather College for Women part of Western Reserve University (’57) and my Dad graduated from Adelbert College (’57) and Western Reserve School of Dentistry (’61). My sister has her MS in Biomedical Engineering (’82).  My husband has a Ph.D. from CWRU in history (’04) and my son just graduated in 2022 and now is enrolled in Case Law School.  This all makes me feel very comfortable here and very proud to teach and mentor young people at CWRU.  As a result of these connections and, I’m impassioned to help them along their path to academic and career success.”

Congratulations Paula! The MAMS department is lucky to have you, and we are thankful for all you do for our students.